Thursday, November 28, 2013

Why I'm Thankful

It's turkey day again! This will be my fourth Thanksgiving overseas, celebrating with the family and friends I've met along the journey. This year, dinner will be with our team of volunteers who come from all over the world-so I was doing some explaining last night on what Thanksgiving is for those who didn't grow up with it...and what happened after the First Thanksgiving. There's a story with some dark history! It's best just to focus on the meaning behind the holiday-a time to give thanks for what we have-and to eat ourselves into a food coma.

My life is full to the brim with blessings. Here are are some things I am especially thankful to the Lord for this year: 

1. My health. I can't really say I risk my life doing dangerous things on a daily basis, but I have done a lot of sports and travel without any injuries. Especially living in Central America, I'm so grateful for not contracting Dengue or yellow fever, for how many insects feast on me daily. I'm thankful for a strong, healthy body because it's the only one I'll have for the rest of my life! 


2. My friends. They light up my world, and remind me who I am when I'm lost. I thank God for bringing all sorts of amazing characters into my life, and I'm thankful for the internet for keeping us connected despite the constant changing distances between us.


3. My passports and citizenships. Many people don't realize how hard it is to travel for people living in countries with complicated visa applications/procedures. In Honduras (and many, many other countries), it is extremely difficult to even visit the United States because the government needs to make sure they will eventually return, and not become illegal residents. Only a tiny percentage of the population can pass the background check in order to apply for a visa. Think about how easy it is for us (US citizens). We just buy a plane ticket online, show up at the airport, and take off. I'm pretty positive I can go anywhere in the world-because for countries where US citizens aren't allowed, BOOM I've got my HK passport ready baby! With the traveling I've done and still want to do, it's something I've grown to really appreciate.


4. My family. Sure, they're not really around, but they're the ones who raised me to be independent enough to figure things out on my own and I am thankful for that. They are the ones that encourage me into going anywhere and doing anything, really-well maybe not encourage, but they've never held me back. They know what I'm made of, cause they're made of it too. The strong-willed Wongs. 


5. My man. My favorite person in the world, and the one I want to share everything with. Words can't explain how thankful I am to have him in my life. To be loved is nothing, to love someone is something, but to be loved by the one you love is everything. <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment